"Medieval building containing the town museum and permanent exhibition dedicated to Boston's Pilgrim Fathers"
Photo by Pixabay
Boston Guildhall was built in 1390 by the Guild of St Mary, a religious guild consisting of wealthy wool merchants. The Guild of St Mary was progressive in its outlook and one of the few that admitted women into its membership. At this time, Boston was a flourishing port and one of the most powerful towns in England.
In 1545 King Henry VIII dissolved the Guild of St Mary and handed the guildhall over to the town. Since then, Boston Guildhall has been used for many things, including acting as a gaol for a group of Non-Conformists known as the Scrooby Separatists, who later became part of the Pilgrim Fathers who settled in America in 1620.
Boston Guildhall is now the town’s museum and has a number of permanent and temporary displays. Interactive touch screens, authentic sounds and smells from yesteryear (!) and children’s activities make it suitable for the whole family.
Got a Question?
Use the form to get in touch with Boston Guildhall
© 2011-2019 All rights reserved | Hosted by Jolt